Village Name: Shenendehowa Neighbors Connecting, Inc. (SNC)
Nancy Varley, President
518-237-1268 (alternate contact number)
Geographic area served: Shenendehowa School District in southern Saratoga County
Website: SNC Website Visit the Facebook page.
About/Mission/Description: SNC serves persons 55 years and older who live in the Shenendehowa School District. Our mission is to help enable these seniors to continue to live independently in their own homes and their own communities for as long as possible by promoting “neighbor to neighbor” connections to social activities as well as connections to services seniors may need, like transportation, as they age in community.
Governance (Village administration):
- Board structure –
- Officers – President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer
- Directors – Five Directors (two with one-year terms and three with two-year terms
- Committees – Program, Membership, Funding, and Fiscal Oversight
- Staff – None
Village Operational Status:
- Date Launched – SNC had its organizational meeting on April 6, 2018.
History of Village Development:
Seven or eight Village founders met informally for about 1.5 years to discuss how to form a village, which geographic area to serve, and what kinds of services to deliver. We began attending CRVC meetings and in the fall of 2017. We applied for funding from NYSOFA, with the help of AGS, to establish our village. We found out in December 2017 that we had been awarded a grant, and applied to become a NYS non-profit corporation in January 2018. SNC then established our governing structure, set up a bank account, and applied for 501 c(3) designation in July 2018.
Age requirements: 55+
- Single: $10 per year (introductory rate)
- # of Single: 33
- Both members and non-member
- Libraries – Multiple programs held at the Clifton-Park Halfmoon Library.
- Senior Citizens Center – Multiple programs held at both the Clifton Park and the Halfmoon Senior Centers and we enjoy their enthusiastic support.
- Community Service Agencies – Active partnership with Care Links, a community service agency operated by CAPTAIN, which recruits volunteers to provide transportation and many other services to local seniors. We encourage our members to be Care Links volunteers, and volunteers to become members of our Village. The Care Links Program Director is on our Board.
Village Program & Services:
Care Links provides all the starred services listed below. SNC focuses on Social and Civic Engagement activities to help seniors engage with one another and the community at large and avoid social isolation. We are also developing a Preferred Providers list for our members.
- Friendly visits/check-ins
- Home chores
- Safety and home security assistance
- Annual Revenue – $5,000 1
- Annual Expenditures – $3,900
1 SNC revenue includes the remaining grant funds from SOFA plus money we expect to raise from memberships and a fund raiser planned for November 2019.